Why does my ps4 keep disconnecting from Wi-Fi? This is the question every PS4 player asks at a time of their life because PS4 disconnecting from the Wi-Fi signal is a very common issue. People around the world who love to play games on the PS4 console often get terribly irritated by this problem.
Though this is a very tricky problem, it has some very easy and simple solutions like making a definite frequency band, resetting the console, restarting the console, etc.
in this article, I shall give you all the possible solutions and the steps of it so that if you encounter this problem, you can easily solve this on your own.
Why Does My PS4 Keep Disconnecting From Wi-Fi
It can happen due to some technical glitches on your PS4. In most of cases, the problem lies in the PS4 software that you can resolve very easily. But in a few cases, the problem can be in your router. In that cases, you have to reset the router, relocate the router, or even replace the router.
But whatever is the issue, when you will finish this write-up, you will know what to do to fix this issue.
How To Fix PS4 Wi-Fi Connection Issue
The most common reason behind the connection issue with your PS4 is the frequency band. That is because the old models of PS4 support only the 2.4 GHz band, whereas the PS4 Pro models support both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
The PS4 Pro models always switch the bands automatically from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz, and vice-versa. It does so because it is programmed to select the faster band. That is why, if you are using a dual-band router, try to fix the frequency to a particular band.
Generally, the 2.4 GHz band gives better coverage, but poor speed; whereas the 5 GHz will give you a poor coverage, but a great speed. So the solution will be, to try both bands with your PS4 console and see which one works the best for it.
To make a default frequency band –
- Open Settings.
- Open Network.
- Get into Setup Internet Connection.
- Select Use Wi-Fi followed by Easy.
- Now open the Wi-Fi Frequency Bands.
- Select from 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.
Ps4 Won’t Stay Connected To Wi-Fi
If you have opened the PS4 to play your favorite game but you see that it is not connected to the internet, the situation can seem very frustrating. But there is a simple trick which can resolve this matter very easily and quickly as well.
Simply restart your console! It may sound funny but restarting the console can fix numerous numbers of technical glitches and can run the console the way it should run. That is why it is my advice to restart the console if you find it is not connected to the internet.
PS4 Keeps Losing Internet Connection
If the PS4 console is continuously getting disconnected from the internet, then you can try to fix this annoying problem by resetting the console.
The steps I have given below will help you to reset your PS4 console –
- Turn off the console totally.
- Disconnect all the power cables.
- Leave the console in this condition for five minutes.
- Connect all the power cables back to the console.
- Press the power button and hold it until you hear the 2nd beep sound.
- Connect a Dualshock 4 controller to the console using a USB cable.
- Choose Initialize PS4 by using the controller’s X button.
How Do I Stop My PS4 From Disconnecting From Wi-Fi
If the above-mentioned steps do not work for you or those methods fail to resolve your problem, then the problem might be not in the console, but in the router. In that case, you have to restart your Wi-Fi router. Restart your router and this time allow it to connect to the console.
PS4 Disconnects From Wi-Fi Every 5 Minutes
If you are having a particular problem only when you try to play some specific game, then this section might be helpful to you.
If you are trying to play a game but every time you start the game, the console is being disconnected from the internet, and you cannot play the game even for five minutes, then you can do one thing. Uninstall the game totally from the storage and reinstall it again. This can give you the solution to your problem.
PS4 Keeps Disconnecting From LAN, Wi-Fi, And Controller
Disconnection of the PS4 from LAN and Wi-Fi can occur if the DNS settings of the console is not proper. In that case, you have to reconfigure the DNS settings of the console.
To reconfigure the DNS settings of your PS4 –
- Open Settings of the PS4.
- Go to Network.
- Choose Setup Internet Connection.
- Choose Wi-Fi followed by Custom.
- Choose the option for Automatic IP Settings.
- Leave the part where you have to give the DHCP Hostname.
- Now from the DNS settings, choose Manual.
- Put 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 as primary and secondary DNS respectively.
- Select Automatic MTU Settings.
- Now choose Don’t Use under Proxy Server.
- You’re done!
There is another way to fix this issue. That is, give your PS4 a static IP.
Let me discuss this more briefly..
Setup Static IP Address
One thing you need to know, that is, automatic IP addresses can change if your ISP decides to give you a new IP address, or if you restart your router. This is why static IP addresses are comparatively more stable than automatic IP addresses.
So if you are in a problem with the continuous disconnection of the internet on your PS4, set up a static IP address for it.
- Select your PS4 Settings.
- Open Network.
- Go to View Connection Status.
- Write down the IP address, Default Gateway, and Subnet Mask; and come back to your previous menu.
- Now open Setup Internet Connection and select Use Wi-Fi.
- Select Custom followed by Manual.
- Enter the values of the IP address, Default Gateway, and Subnet Mask in proper sections.
- Make MTU Settings Automatic.
- Avoid using the option for Proxy Server.
What To Do When Nothing Works?
If all the above-mentioned steps fail, then you have only two options left.
The first one is, to try an Ethernet cable to connect the PS4 console to the internet. Ethernet cables are reliable and give a hundred times faster internet than a Wi-Fi connection.
Follow the steps below to connect your PS4 to the internet using an Ethernet cable.
- Take one end of the Ethernet cable and connect it to the Ethernet port of the router.
- Now connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port of the PS4.
- Now turn on both the router and PS4.
- Open Settings from the PS4.
- Choose Network.
- Select Setup Internet Connection.
- Now choose Use LAN Cable followed by Easy.
If this fails too, then you have to call the PS4 Customer Support. This is the only option left for you as the problem maybe is in the hardware.
Solving Other PS4 Networking Problems
There are a few other networking issues that can occur on your PS4 console, but all of them can be fixed using the methods I explained in this article.
So it really does not matter what kind of problem you are facing, if you read this article, you will be able to solve all the network-related problems of PS4 on your own.
In this article, I have briefed all the methods of resolving the issue of disconnection of the PS4 from the internet. If you read this article thoroughly, you can solve the problem! All the best! Happy gaming!