The antimalware service executable process plays an essential role in the Windows Defender Service that is generally bundled with Windows 10. It is a title of the process known as MsMpEng (MsMpEng.exe) that is used from the Windows Defender program.
However, the antimalware service executable is also infamous for consuming a lot more than its fair amount of share of CPU power. This will lead to reducing your computer’s speed. The reason why it consumes high CPU usage would be the real-time attribute that constantly scans documents, connections, and other associated programs.
In case you are a Windows Defender user and have been facing the issue of high CPU usage for long periods of time, then you have landed on the right platform. You will get pleased to know that you can easily get your issue solved.
In this article, we have included a few steps that you can follow and solve the issue with your antimalware service executable high memory usage. By following those step you can make sure that your machine is running smoothly.
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY MSMPENG.EXE ANTIMALWARE SERVICE EXECUTABLE?
Are you using Windows Defender for the protection of your PC? If your answer is yes, then you got to open up your Windows Task Manager and then you need to scroll down through the list of background processes. There you will be able to find process known as antimalware service executable and also it’s corresponding file msmpeng.exe.
This particular process allows the Windows Defender to continuously monitor your PC in case of any potential threats. This also provides you real-time protection against cyberattacks and malware. However, at the same time, it brings the issue to your computer by using high CPU processing power.
The other feature of Windows Defender that is responsible for slowing down your PC is its Full scan. The Full scan performs the comprehensive check of all the files that are available on your computer.
Also, a full scan relies upon your CPU heavily and does not bother to use whatever resources are available to it. As a result, you can experience delays, hanging, lag, and other system disruptions on your computer while it is running.
You may know that it is very normal for the antivirus programs to consume your system’s power when they are running a scan, but the Windows Defender is much greedier than most of the other programs. This program uses a lot of CPU power for a longer period of time and can totally interrupt the important work you are doing.
ISSUES REPORTED BY USERS ABOUT ANTIMALWARE SERVICE EXECUTABLE
By now you know that antimalware service is associated with Windows Defender program and a lot of Windows 10 users are reporting the issues related to this process. Below are given some of the issues that are reported by the users.
1#) Disabling antimalware service executable from Windows 10:
There are a lot of queries regarding how one can disable this process from the Windows 10. We are going to share some methods below by which you can do this.
2#) Antimalware service executable high memory:
Many users have reported the issue of memory usage due to this particular program. However, to stop this, you can disable Windows Defender on your computer and then see if it solves your problem or not.
3#) Antimalware service executable high disk usage:
Due to this process, many users have been reporting high consumption of CPU processing power as well as high disk usage. You can solve this issue by simply installing a third-party antivirus on your PC.
4#) Running all the time and slowing down your PC:
Many users have come with an issue that antimalware service runs all the time on their PC. However, you can get this problem solved by applying one of our below-given solutions.
5#) How to stop antimalware service executable/ How to turn off antimalware service executable:
Questions regarding how one can end this task is frequently asked. To end this task, you need to uninstall Windows Defender from your PC.
METHODS TO FIX ISSUES RELATED TO ANTIMALWARE SERVICE EXECUTABLE
1#) Adding antimalware service executable into the exclusion list of Window’s Defender:
During the scanning process, Windows Defender checks every single file available on your computer. However, sometimes this can result in interesting interactions and this becomes the most common source of lagging.
In order to prevent this from happening, you can simply ask the Windows Defender to skip itself while performing the system scanning. Below are the steps that you can follow to achieve this.
- First of all, you need to open the Windows task manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your computer.
- Now from the list of processes, you need to select the antimalware service executable process. Right-click on the process and then select the open file location.
- In the address bar, you will be able to see the full path of the antimalware service executable. You need to click on the address bar and then copy the full path.
- The next step is to open the start menu and type Windows Defender on it. Click on the top result in order to launch the Windows Defender security program.
- After that, you need to click on Virus and threat protection and then on its
- Scroll down the settings bar and search for exclusions and then click on add or remove exclusions When the next screen will appear, you need to click on add exclusion, select folder, and then paste the full path that you copied before in the address bar.
- Finally, click on open and you will see that the folder is now excluded from getting scanned.
2#) Changing the scheduling of Windows Defender:
Many people have been reporting the issue of excessive memory using due to the antimalware service executable process. This happens generally your Windows Defender is running a full scan on your computer.
So, to resolve this issue, you can simply schedule the scans to take place while you are not doing any heavy work on your computer or while you are doing some light tasks. Follow the below steps to learn how to schedule the scanning process of Windows Defender.
- The first step is to open the start menu and then search for a task scheduler. Open the topmost result to launch the program.
- Now, in the navigation pane that is on the left side, double click on the task scheduler library. After that continue to expand these folders and navigation to the given destinations: Microsoft/Windows/Library/Windows Defender.
- Now, press the conditions tab button, uncheck all the options, and then click on the OK button.
- So, in order to protect your computer, it is very important to schedule your new scans. This can be done in such a way that it can reduce the impact on your system’s performance. To do so, you need to double click on the Windows Defender Scheduled Scan and then select the new option from the triggers tab.
- Now, you can create a new scan schedule that meets your needs. Select options that can provide you a balance between system efficiency and its protection. We recommend you to use the weekly scan option.
3#) Disabling Windows Defender:
If the problems still exist after the application of the first two methods, then you probably need to disable the Windows Defender altogether from your PC. Doing so will leave your computer under the risk of cyberattacks, so make sure to install a good anti-malware product before you disable the Windows Defender.
- First of all, you need to open the run dialogue box, and to do that you need to press Windows key + R
- Now, in the Run Dialogue box, type Regedit and then press the OK button in order to open the Registry Editor.
- On the navigation pane that is present on the left side, double click the folder in order to navigate to the given destination: SOFTWARE/Policies/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Windows Defender.
- In case you find a registry entry that is known as DisableAntiSpyware, double click on it and then set its value date to 1.
- In case you are unable to find DisableAntiSpyware, Press right click on the main Registry Editor Pane and then select new> DWORD value (32 bit).
- Now you can name this new registry as DisableAntiSpyware. Press double click on it and then set its date value as 1.
Windows Defender is a valuable tool in your computer as it comes free with your operating system. However, this can also create some issues by putting a drain on your CPU system. By following the above-given methods, you will be able to resolve your issues related to Antimalware Service Executable and keep your computer running at a good speed.